As an older adult who is close to or already in retirement, you’ve got more freedom and options about how to spend your time than ever before. You’re also in a position to decide the ideal place to live and enjoy that freedom to the max. If you’ve decided that the ideal place is a senior living community, you’re in for a great lifestyle! Now comes the big task – choosing a senior living community that feels like the perfect fit.
The best senior living communities, like Friendship Village Sunset Hills and Friendship Village Chesterfield, share certain key attributes and advantages. To help you make a better, more informed decision and narrow down your choices, we’ve created a list of what to look for when you’re evaluating and choosing a senior living community.
1. Location Considerations: Everyone’s idea of a great location is different, so it’s important to know your priorities. For example, it may be important to have a major airport within reasonable driving distance in case you travel or have family in to visit. Others may want to be within a short driving distance of children and grandchildren. For some, it’s essential to be close to dining, shopping and entertainment venues. As you consider the location of each senior living community, keep your personal priorities in mind.
2. Floor Plan Options: Living needs and wants change as we age, and it’s good to choose a community that offers a variety of floor plans for this reason. Friendship Village communities offer a wide range of floor plan options that vary in square footage, features and styles, from studios to one- and two- bedroom apartments to villas with dens or studies, and some with garages. It’s important to have choices!
3. Staff Quality: Friendship Village Sunset Hills and Friendship Village Chesterfield handpick our staff not only for their expertise, but for their compassion. And because the well-being of our residents always comes first, we work hard to maintain a staff-to-resident ratio that allows for maximum attention and expeditious care. Don’t be shy about inquiring about the staffing philosophy at any community you consider. No one should ever feel ignored.
4. Dining Quality: The best senior living communities boast multiple dining venues with all meals prepared by award-winning chefs and served by an attentive, accommodating dining staff. You deserve it!
5. Services: One of the important watchwords of a quality senior living community is “carefree.” Everything should be geared around making residents’ lives easy to allow them to focus on enjoying each day to the fullest. From housekeeping and laundry services to interior/exterior maintenance to the services of wellness coordinators and nurse navigators who help develop care plans, you want a community built completely around your needs and desires.
6. Amenities: When you think of the amenities at a senior living community, think the best of what you’d find at a resort, in a fitness club, at your local community center, in a beautiful city park, and at a fine country club, all right outside your door. Yes, you should be able to expect it all from the senior living community you choose.
7. Care Level Options: Quality senior living communities offer a full continuum of care (Independent Living, Assisted Living, Memory Care, Skilled Nursing, and Rehabilitation Care). Take time to view the links to these living and care options at Friendship Village and use them as a benchmark as you evaluate senior living community options.
8. Security/Safety: When you take a tour, observe how the front desk works when guests and residents arrive. Ask whether the community has 24-hour security staff and whether the apartments are equipped with 24-hour emergency assistance systems. How is the hall lighting? Are their railings along the halls? Is the parking lot and/or garage well lit? Your personal safety and welfare come first, so don’t hesitate to ask what safety measures are in place.
9. Affordability: Of course, you want a community with thoughtfully designed floor plans and abundant amenities in the ideal location. More importantly, however, you should evaluate the cost and the value of the senior living community you’re interested in to ensure it makes financial sense.
Details and facts are important, of course, but there’s nothing like a boots on the ground experience to help you really get a feel for a community. Be sure to schedule a tour so you can take a walk around the campus and check out the facilities like the fitness center and medical center. Also spend time chatting up the residents to get a feel for what they love about the lifestyle in the community.
Pay attention to cleanliness, the energy, and the attitude of the staffers you meet on your tour. If possible, enjoy a meal in the dining room and check out the menus and activity calendars for the week. Your good sleuthing will pay off in helping you make the most informed choice.
If you’re looking for the best in quality, carefree living, we hope you’ll consider Friendship Village Sunset Hill or Friendship Village Chesterfield. Our beautiful campus and amenities are geared to help you be as active and social as you like, and with our continuum of care, you’ll enjoy the peace of mind of knowing our care services will be here when and if you ever need them.. To learn more, we invite you to contact us soon. One of our representatives will call you back shortly to answer questions and, if you like, to arrange a tour. We’re looking forward to meeting you!